To pre-order the Yearbook, it now cost $45. See Mr.Streetz in Room 802 to order your copy with $45 CASH or go to YEARBOOKFOREVER.COM and order it on line.
Let's Make Hughes Litter Free
We are a Green Ribbon School! Come join us to make a difference at Hughes on Fridays from 8:00 to 8:30 am. Meet us at the Bike rack to do some litter busting! We want our school to look clean and show why we earned the Green Ribbon in the first place.
Office News 2015 - 2016
8 am - 4:30 pm
The school day begins at 9:00 am and ends at 3:40 pm. Students may not be on campus after 3:50pm unless they are in a school sponsored activity. Parents, please pick up your children from school as soon as possible so students are not lingering in front of the school. To assist us, please make arrangements with friends or family to have a place for your child after school.
Suggested Student Supply List for This School Year
- 2 - 3 inch, Ring Binder
- 1 - 5 Subjet Dividers Tabbed With Pockets
- Lined Notebook Paper (college ruled, 8 1/2 x 11in.)
- 1 - 3 Ring Binder Storage Bag
- 1 - Pencil Sharpener
- 24 - Lead Pencils (#2)
- 1 Box of 10 - 12 Colored Pencils
- 1 Box of 8 - 10 Colored Markers
- 12 - Blue/Black Ball Point Pens
- 12 - Red Ball Point Pens
- 3 to 5 Assorted Highlighter Markers
- Student Scissors, 5 inch, Blunted
- Portable 3-Hole Punch
- 12 Inch Ruler
- Plastic Protractor, 6 Inch x 180 °
- 1 - Student Compass
- 1 - Letter Size Clipboard
2015 School Uniform Policy
We will continue to implement our school uniform policy. This is a revised policy as of August 2015. Adherence to the ID and uniform policy is required for attendance at Hughes. There is no doubt that the uniform policy reduces student misbehavior and allows us to focus on providing a meaningful instructional program for all students. Thank you for your support in our efforts to provide a safe and orderly environment.
- Students must wear solid light blue, navy, or white collared shirts. Note: Plaids, stripes, sheer material or other designs will not be allowed. No sheer blouses that reveal undershirts are allowed.
- Navy blue pants, just above the knee shorts (2-4" above the knee) or skirts are permitted. Dark blue jeans may be worn provided they are in good condition and free of logos and designs (no frays, tears, holes, etc.). Students may not wear sweats or athletic wear.
- Only solid white, blue, gray or black sweaters, sweatshirts, and jackets will be allowed as outer wear. These must be logo free.
- Only white, blue, black, or gray undershirts may be worn.
After School Program
Hughes does not offer an on-site after school program. You will need to refer to outside agencies (Boys & Girls Club, YMCA, or a private agency) if you need an after school program for your student.
Whooping cough (pertussis) TDAP BOOSTER IMMUNIZATIONS REQUIREMENT
For the 2014 – 2015 school year, students entering 7th grades need proof of a TDAP Booster shot before starting school. This requirement does not affect students enrolled in summer school. Immunizations may be given by your family physician or are available at the clinics listed below:
Long Beach Health Department
2525 Grand Ave., Long Beach, 90815
Telephone: 562- 570 - 4221
Bellflower Health Center
10005 E. Flower St., 90706
Telephone: 562 – 804 - 8112
The Children’s Clinic
2801 Atlantic Ave., Long Beach, 90806
Telephone: 562 – 933 - 0400
Westside Neighborhood Clinic
2125 Santa Fe Ave., Long Beach, 90810
Telephone: 562 – 432 - 9575
Please bring/send the immunization record to the school nurse:
- If your child has already received the Tdap booster after age 10
- After your child has received the required immunization
Green News Center
Big Plans for Hughes Goes Green!
Hughes has set great goals for reducing it’s impact on the environment. This year the school plants to recycle 1.5 tons of plastic and aluminum and 20 tons of paper ...more
Green Team Make-Over Slide Shows
Friday, February 5, 2016
Character Key Word of the Month: RESPECT. A person of character values all persons, lives by the Golden Rule, respects the dignity, privacy, and freedom of others, is courteous and polite to all, and is tolerant and accepting of differences.
- Please remember that the sale of candy, donuts, chips, Girl Scout cookies, or any other items are not permitted. If you decide to bring them to school, they will be confiscated and there will be consequences.
- Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet and so are you! Purchase a Valentine’s Gram for $1.00, a teddy bear or flowers for $3.00 during 4th and 5th period lunch in front of the gym until next Friday. Buy one for your friend, loved one, teacher, or yourself. All respectfully written grams must be turned in no later than next Friday in order to be delivered on time. Sponsored by Young, Gifted, and Talented Black History Club.
- Attention all Hughes students and staff members: Would you like to be a part of a great cause that supports our local community? Be a hero and donate new or gently used clothing to the Annual Share the Love Clothing Drive. Long Beach Scholar students will continue to collect clothing donations from your first period teacher until February 26th. Donations can include: gently, clean used clothing, shoes – pairs only! Towels, gloves & hats, sheets, blankets, drapes, purses & belts, or stuffed animals. All donations will be given to a local women and children’s center in Long Beach. The first period class with the most weight in donations wins a class prize! So, start cleaning out your closets ASAP!
School District News
Online Math Support for Grades 6-12 Click Here.
A Tradition of Excellence